Home Nutrition Is eating moldy cheese dangerous? Throw it away if it looks like this, according to this dietitian

Is eating moldy cheese dangerous? Throw it away if it looks like this, according to this dietitian

0
Is eating moldy cheese dangerous?  Throw it away if it looks like this, according to this dietitian

If mold is part of the production process of certain cheeses, it can be dangerous if it is present on other cheeses…

Do you like the white fuzz on Brie and Camembert, the blue flecks on the Auvergne blue? This little detail that makes the difference is mold. Is it bad to eat it? Or even dangerous? We take stock with Pauline Pied, dietician-nutritionist.

Brie, Roquefort… Cheeses with controlled mold

Mold is naturally present on some cheeses. This is what we call a “noble” form, which is the characteristic of the cheese and gives it its taste. In this specific case, the cheesemakers integrate deliberately mushrooms during preparation so that they multiply and give them the desired taste and texture. “These mushrooms are known and not present no health hazard. So we can consume them without any worries, as long as we don't exceed the expiration date, assures Pauline Pied. This is the case for cheeses such as brie, camembert or coulommiers that have been developed from the mushroom “penicillium camemberti” like Roquefort cheese and blue cheese from the Auvergne made from another mushroom called “penicillium roqueforti”. But this is not the case mold that develops over time, decomposition and humidity.

Cheeses to avoid

In addition to these well-identified cheeses, our dietitian strongly advises against consuming cheeses on which mold has developed over time. “In fact, these produce uncontrolled mold mycotoxins, poisonous molecules emitted by certain types of fungi, which are harmful to health. They are likely to cause a variety of symptoms ranging from simple gastroenteritis to much more serious diseases such as kidney failure“, explains the dietitian. However, it is not necessarily mandatory throw the cheese in the trash ! In fact, it all depends on the type of cheese. “If it is a semi-soft or hard cheese, that is also possible remove the affected part and consume the rest. On the other hand, if mold appears on a soft or fresh cheese, it should not be consumed because the entire cheese is contaminated with mycotoxins.“, warns our interlocutor.

With thanks to Pauline Pied, dietician-nutritionist.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here